The lymphatic system is an astounding network of fluid, organs, nodes and nodules, ducts, glands and vessels. Frequently referred to as the body's sewage system, the lymph continuously and aggressively cleanses the system of waste matter from our body.
The lymph system follows the same path as the veins where it drains and carries waste products from the tissues to the final eliminatory organs. Unlike the circulatory system, however, the lymphatic system does not have a pump like the heart. Instead, skeletal movement and breathing pushes the lymphatic fluid through the body.
When the lymph system is impacted by toxicity in the body then imbalance can manifest. Common causes of lymph imbalance include: stress, wrong diet, and low iodine. Lymph imbalance leads to water retention, swelling, and mucous formation in the body. In women, menstrual flow becomes heavier and lasts longer; the breasts swell and may leak. The mind becomes dull, sluggish, and lacks luster. All secretions in the body can increase, including excess mucus in the sinuses, the lungs, the breasts, and intestinal tract.
Dietary Tips For The Lymph
- Bitter greens that scrape mucus off the intestines and roots (burdock, dandelion) that clean the blood and support the liver are often helpful for these conditions.
- Dandelion greens and mustard greens, increase liver detoxification.
- Arugula, radicchio, endive, broccoli, cabbage, Brussels sprout, green chilies, garlic, and onion pull excess water from the tissues and stimulate digestion.
- Sprouts and seeds are loaded with chlorophyll, which naturally cleanse the blood and increase oxygenation in the tissues.
- In general, favor a lighter diet that is vegetable and spice heavy.
- If you struggle with digesting cruciferous vegetables cook and spice them well. If you are sensitive (acid reflux, nausea, etc.) to heating spices (garlic, chili peppers, onion, etc.) do not include them.
- Avoid refined sugars, processed grains, and unfermented dairy.
Helpful Hamsa Products for Lymph Cleansing